The State of Minnesota passed a Concussion Law that takes affect Sept. 1st, 2011. It contains the following three major provisions.
- All youth sport coaches and officials are required to receive online training (http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/HeadsUp/online_training.html) at least once every three years. Shakopee Wrestling recommends parent and youth participants take the course as well to better educate themselves about the symptoms and treatment of concussions and the danger of prematurely returning to play or practice.
- Reduce the risk of further injury by requiring coaches or officials to immediately remove a youth athlete from play or practice when the youth exhibits signs, symptoms, or behaviors consistent with a concussion, or is suspected of sustaining a concussion.
- When a coach or official removes a youth athlete from participating in a youth athletic activity because of a concussion, the youth athlete may not again participate in the activity until the youth athlete:
- no longer exhibits signs, symptoms, or behaviors consistent with a concussion, and
- is evaluated by a provider trained and experienced in evaluating and managing concussions and the provider gives the youth athlete WRITTEN permission to again participate in the activity